Packaging Compliance Scheme
Is your company compliant with the UK Packaging Waste Regulations?
Who needs to comply?
Not all businesses are affected by the Packaging Waste Regulations. A business needs to meet a set of criteria in order to be obligated. However, due to the complex nature of these Regulations, misunderstandings can occur, which may mean obligated businesses don’t realise they are required to comply, or may believe they don’t need to comply.
It is important that checks are made and expert advice is sought in order to establish what, if any, obligations a business may have, as non-compliance may result in hefty ﬁnes and/ or damage to business reputation.
Is your business obligated under the Packaging Waste Regulations?
Your business has a packaging waste obligation if ALL of the following points apply:
- Its annual UK turnover exceeds £2 million, AND
- It performs a packaging activity on any of the packaging handled, AND
- It owns the packaging or packaging materials handled, AND
- It handles more than 50 tonnes of packaging and/or packaging materials
Valpak help to alleviate the burden of what can be a complex and onerous task, as well as take on a business’s legal responsibility. We were the first ever packaging compliance scheme and have over 25 years’ experience, which, alongside our 100% compliance success rate, makes us best placed to look after your business’s packaging compliance.
If your business is obligated and you are looking to outsource compliance to a scheme, our Blog contains a list of questions to ask yourself and the scheme you are looking to join, which should help with the decision-making process.
- Access to fully trained experts who can be contacted for help and advice
- UK Green Dot licence fee waived
- Provision of a certificate of compliance
- Registering the business with the appropriate environment agency
- Representation at Government level
- Regulatory changes and consultations updates
- Access to a unique, online data submission system, which offers interactive guidance
- Free regional training workshops
- Free compliance reviews
- Industry news e-bulletins
- Access to a dedicated Members’ Area of the website
- Consumer Information Obligations (CIOs) met via recycle-more.co.uk
In 1997, when the Packaging Waste Regulations first came into force, a group of obligated businesses collaborated to create the UK’s first ever packaging compliance scheme (Valpak) as a means to outsource legal compliance to a third party.
Valpak has a 100% compliance record and over 25 years’ experience. Our compliance scheme members can outsource a number of activities. We will:
- take on a business’s legal responsibility for packaging compliance
- calculate packaging obligations
- thoroughly check your data submission return to ensure accuracy
- carry out free compliance reviews to review your data and make recommendations for future submissions
- purchase recycling evidence (Packaging Waste Recovery Notes) on behalf of a business to offset its obligation
- register a business with and submit data to the appropriate environment agency
- offer free guidance, free regional training workshops and free training webinars
Valpak help to alleviate the burden of what can be a complex and onerous task, as well as take on a business’s legal responsibility.
If your business is obligated and you are looking to outsource compliance to a scheme, our Blog contains a list questions to ask yourself and the scheme you are looking to join, which should help with the decision-making process.
Your business will need to pay three sets of fees in order to become compliant with the Regulations:
- Agency fees – every business has to pay a set environment agency registration fee each year
- Annual membership fee – this covers our administration costs of checking and verifying data
- PRN fees – the cost of procuring recycling evidence notes needed to meet the business’s obligation
Use our free, online tool to find out your packaging obligation for the current year.
Gathering and submitting packaging data can be a demanding and time consuming process. Businesses have the option to fully outsource data collection and submission to our Data Management Team.
We can offer support and help collecting packaging weights information, or the entire data submission process can be outsourced to us. Our service can be tailored to suit your business’s needs.
Make an enquiry
If you wish to discuss your obligations, please contact us today. We have been dealing with the Regulations since they came into force in 1997, which means we're best placed to advise on how different types of companies may be obligated.
The area that stands out for me is the support and guidance that we receive from Valpak during the waste packaging submission process. Our packaging data submission includes a number of business sites; therefore, we appreciate Valpak's help to coordinate this. It gives me more time to concentrate on core business activities.
We were completely new to the Packaging Waste Regulations and decided to obtain professional advice. Working with Valpak made a complex subject a straightforward one, allowing us to focus staff attention on other matters. Entrusting the relevant data to Valpak has meant an increase in the accuracy of our calculations and I am confident that all aspects of compliance are being diligently managed to high standards.
Drake & Morgan
Valpak has been the chosen compliance partner of Samsung for many years, taking care of our obligations in WEEE, Battery and Packaging Regulations, whilst keeping us informed of policy changes. I have been very satisfied with the service we receive from Valpak.
We've been working with Valpak for over 10 years and the account management support offered has helped us to build a strong partnership, which ensures we meet the benchmarks of each environmental compliance successfully.