Battery Compliance Scheme
Is your company compliant with the UK Waste Batteries Regulations?
Which businesses need to comply?
- Manufactures batteries
- Imports batteries or products containing batteries
- Sells more than 32kg batteries to end users per year (excludes batteries sold within equipment)
It is important to establish if your business is obligated, as non-compliance may result in hefty ﬁnes and/or damage to business reputation.
We are an approved battery compliance scheme, meaning we can register battery producers with the relevant environment agencies and check and submit data to ensure compliance.
For large producers, we will also take on the legal responsibility for compliance with the Regulations. To meet this obligation we arrange the collection, treatment and recycling of waste batteries.
Additional Valpak membership beneﬁts include:
- access to fully trained experts for help and advice
- unique online data submission system with interactive guidance
- free training workshops
- free compliance reviews
- free battery box and collections
- access to dedicated Members’ Area of the website
- free use of the Green Dot symbol
- a certiﬁcate of registration
- representation at Government level
- regulatory changes and consultations updates
Our service is free to distributors. We can provide guidance on the options available to distributors for in-store collection of batteries and can also provide the appropriate container, depending on a business’s requirements.
With over 40,000 collection points and excellent customer satisfaction rates you can be assured of a reliable and eﬃcient collection service.
Producers that place more than 1 tonne of portable batteries onto the UK market must:
- register with a compliance scheme
- complete data submissions detailing the amount of batteries placed onto the UK market
- pay a share towards the costs of battery recycling
Producers that place 1 tonne or less of portable batteries onto the UK market must:
- register with the Environment Agency
- complete an annual data submission detailing the amount of batteries placed onto the UK market
- offer in-store portable battery collection for recycling
- publicise, at point of sale, that a battery recycling point is available in-store
Free battery collection box
If you distribute batteries and don’t have a collection container you can order a free battery collection box from us today. We will also collect the waste batteries for free, once the box is full.
Producers only will need to pay three sets of fees in order to become compliant with the Regulations:
- Agency fees – Every business has to pay a set environment agency registration fee each year
- Annual membership fee – This covers our administration costs of checking and verifying data
- Evidence fee – The cost of procuring battery recycling evidence notes needed to meet the business’s obligation
Make an enquiry
If you are interested in joining our battery compliance scheme, or simply wish to talk through your requirements with one of our experts, please do not hesitate to contact us:
Valpak has been the chosen compliance partner of Samsung for many years, taking care of our obligations in WEEE, Waste Batteries and Packaging Waste Regulations, whilst keeping us informed of policy changes. I have been very satisfied with the service we receive from Valpak.