Helping Deeside Cereals achieve Zero Waste to Landfill certification
Deeside Cereals Ltd, one of the largest manufacturers of cereal bars and supermarket own brand cereals in the UK, takes its responsibility for the environment and its local community seriously. The business is aware of its impact on the environment and wants to reduce this as much as possible.
Deeside Cereals has been accredited to ISO 14001 since 2006 and aligns its approach to environmental targets to the Food & Drink Federation (FDF) five-fold environmental ambitions.
Consequently, the business developed targets in the following areas:
- Reduction of CO2 emissions
- Reduction of water usage
- Zero food and packaging waste to landfill
- Packaging requirement in absolute terms
- Fewer and friendlier food miles within our overall supply chain
To meet its waste target, Deeside Cereals needed to manage 15 different on site waste streams, ranging from food waste to fluorescent tubes. Deeside needed to ensure that none of these waste streams were being sent to landfill and that they were either reused, recycled or treated by energy recovery. They also needed to get independently certified.
Valpak provided Deeside with an independent Zero Waste to Landfill Certification service. We:
- gave advice on how they could achieve zero waste to landfill
- carried out a site audit
- documented their waste processes and reporting procedures
- reviewed evidence to support zero waste to landfill
- provided recommendations to maintain and improve performance, which we continue to do on an annual basis
Deeside Cereals has achieved Zero Waste to Landfill Certification every year since 2015. The benefits are as follows:
- Certified to a recognised standard
- Improved management of waste resources
- Can demonstrate a commitment to the environment
- Increase in engagement from environmentally conscientious clients
In addition, Deeside Cereals were runners up in the Asda Sustain & Save Exchange (SSE) supplier of the year sustainability awards 2017/18. Achieving Zero Waste to Landfill Certification and meeting other environmental initiatives meant they were able to enter.
Valpak not only helped us achieve Zero Waste to Landfill Certification but also identified opportunities for continuous improvements.