Software Engineering Lead: Data Management
THIS POSITION IS NOW CLOSED
Vacancy Type: Permanent
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon (Hybrid)
Salary: Competitive + up to 10% bonus & benefits
Why choose Valpak?
Valpak has created a friendly and supportive working environment that enables our team to perform to the best of their abilities, with flexible hours, hybrid working options, access to training and opportunities to get involved in various groups to nurture key interests.
With social value at the heart of our business ethos, employees can take a day on us to volunteer for an organisation of their choice, and our Charity Committee organises fundraising events for the employee nominated charity of the year.
Valpak endorses wellbeing and healthy lifestyles, offering subsidised gym membership, optional healthy living seminars and social events, encouraging cross team integration. Plus the “After Work” social group organises regular gatherings – an opportunity to get to know friendly faces.
Our team is passionate, friendly, approachable and dedicated to the business mission – to inspire businesses to do all they can to reduce their environmental impact. If you have an interest in sustainability and like the sound of all Valpak offers, we would love to hear from you!
How will I make a difference?
As the UK’s leading provider of environmental compliance, Valpak strives to work together towards a profitable, sustainable, waste-free world. To date, our teams work in partnership with more than 400 customers, in nearly every corner of the globe.
Proprietary software underpins all of our services. We hold the largest packaging weights database in the UK. The Software Engineering Manager’s primary objective is to work with the Data Insights Product Managers, Valpak management team and broader business to deliver, grow, maintain and support the technology which underpin these services. You will lead your technical teams to build a flexible, modern, resilient solutions on time and within budget.
What will I be doing?
- Work with the Product Managers to define and deliver an ambitious and externally driven time-pressure roadmap for Data management technology services which you will be responsible for the technical delivery.
- Technical leadership on all aspects including architecture, native cloud feature utilization and where appropriate 3rd party products and tooling.
- Plan and schedule the technical delivery, including resource allocation, timelines, and budgets. Coordinating with various teams, including development, testing, and deployment.
- Identify and mitigate potential risks and issues that may impact the software development process, such as resource constraints, technical issues, and changes in requirements.
- Point of contact between the development team and other stakeholders, including clients, management, and other departments. Ensure clear and open communication between all parties involved in the project.
Technical & Security Excellence
- Hands-on data architect and engineer including but not limited to, technical design, peer reviews, PoC creation.
- Work with the Software Delivery Manager and Engineering Leads to ensure the consistent adoption of modern software engineering best practices, including; SDLC methodology, architecture (e.g. leveraging Native Cloud), coding standards, patterns and DevOps (e.g. logging, tracing, monitoring, security, automated testing, load testing, CI/CD, SOLID, DRY, OWASP).
- Deliver useful software rapidly, regularly, and reliably.
- Champion the Scrum methodology.
- Ensure effective backlog prioritisation, sprint planning, and review occur across all delivery streams.
Bridge tech & non-tech gaps
- Understand commercial requirements and customer/regulatory pressure, and be able to translate these into technical requirements.
- Drive business analysis, requirements specification, and collaboration between business departments and technical staff.
- Communicate technical challenges and solutions at the right level of detail with confidence and credibility to non-technical stakeholders at all levels, including C-suite.
What kind of businesses will I be working with?
What benefits will I receive?
We strive to make Valpak an employer of choice. Whether it’s achieving work-life balance, helping towards a healthier lifestyle, or saving money. We have a range of benefits to help support you, including: