The Producer Responsibility Obligations (Packaging Waste) Regulations were introduced in 1997 with the aim of reducing the amount of packaging waste ending up in landfill.
Other things you should be aware of:
Your organisation can be obligated if it is part of a group that collectively exceeds the thresholds outlined above, even if it doesn’t meet the thresholds on its own
Northern Ireland has its own Packaging Waste Regulations which means that organisations with operations in Northern Ireland will need to register these separately with the Northern Ireland Environment Agency
What Do You Need to Do?
Obligated organisations must:
How Can We Help?
We take on the legal responsibility for your compliance with the Packaging Waste Regulations. We calculate your obligation and purchase recycling evidence (PRNs) on your behalf. We will also register you with the appropriate environment agency.
As part of your membership you also get:
- Access to fully trained experts who can be contacted for help and advice
- Unique online data submission system offering interactive guidance
- Free regional training workshops
- Free compliance reviews
- Industry news e-bulletins
- Access to a dedicated Member Area of the website
- We meet your Consumer Information Obligations (CIOs) on your behalf
- Free use of the Green Dot symbol
- A certificate of compliance
- Lobbying at Government level
How Much Does it Cost?
There are three sets of fees that you will need to pay in order to become compliant with the regulations:
- Agency fees – everyone has to pay a set environment agency registration fee each year
- Annual Membership fee – this covers our administration costs of checking and verifying your data
- PRN fees – this is the cost of procuring recycling evidence notes needed to meet your obligation
Please click here to download our costs.