The UK Waste Batteries and Accumulators Regulations were introduced in May 2009 with the aim of reducing the amount of used batteries ending up in landfill.
The regulations require battery producers to finance the collection, treatment and recycling of this fast growing and problematic waste stream.
What Do You Need to Do?
Producers that place more than 1 tonne of portable batteries onto the UK market must:
- Register with a compliance scheme
- Complete data submissions detailing the amount of batteries you have placed onto the UK market
- Pay a share towards the costs of battery recycling
Producers that place 1 tonne of less of portable batteries onto the UK market must:
- Register directly with the Environment Agency
- Complete an annual data submission detailing the amount of batteries you have placed onto the UK market
- Offer in-store collection for portable batteries
- Publicise at point of sale that a battery recycling point is available in-store
How Can We Help?
We take on the legal responsibility for your compliance with the Battery Regulations. We check and submit data on your behalf to the relevant environment agency. We also make all the necessary arrangements for collecting and recycling your share of batteries.
As part of your membership you will also get:
- Access to fully trained experts who can be contacted for help and advice
- Unique online data submission system offering interactive guidance
- Free training workshops
- Free compliance reviews
- Free battery collection box
- Free battery collections
- Industry news e-bulletins
- Access to a dedicated Members' Area of the website
- Free use of the Green Dot symbol
- A certificate of registration
- Lobbying at Government level
How Much Does it Cost?
There are three sets of fees that you will need to pay in order to become compliant with the regulations:
- Agency fees – everyone has to pay a set environment agency registration fee each year
- Annual membership fee – this covers our administration costs of checking and verifying your data
- Evidence fee – this is the cost of procuring battery recycling evidence notes needed to meet your obligation
Please click here to download our costs.
If you would like more details about how we can help please contact one of our dedicated technical advisors on 08450 682 572 or complete our online enquiry form.