Important reminder on the legal requirements on retailers to take back waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) from the public or join the DTS
Attention retailers of electrical and electronic equipment (EEE)! Do you sell household EEE directly to consumers? If so you are required to offer take back of WEEE. The alternative is to join the Distributor Take back Scheme (DTS) to fulfil your legal obligations as a distributor under the UK WEEE Regulations.
What is the Distributor Take back Scheme (DTS)?
The DTS has been running since 2007 and the funds raised from DTS Members are used to support collection infrastructure at Household Waste and Recycling Centres and to fund Local Authority collection projects for WEEE.
You can renew your membership or join for the first time NOW!
Phase 3 of the DTS ended on 31 December this year. We are pleased to announce that Phase 4 has been approved from 01 January 2017.
Registration for Phase 4 is now open, you can register here
Due to the delayed launch of Phase 4 there will be a grace period for registration until 31 January 2017 to allow businesses time to complete their registrations in the early part of 2017.
So you want to know more about Phase 4 before you register?
We can confirm that:
- The scheme will be in operation for 3 years starting 01/01/2017 and running until 31/12/2019
- When you register you will be required to provide information on your equipment sales for the period 01/01/2015 - 31/12/2015
- The fees for Band A, B and C scheme members have remained the same as those in phase 3. You can refer to the DTS website for more information on what you can expect to pay
- Band A members will again be required to pay a per unit fee set at the same rates as in phase 3
- There will also be an option for returning Band A scheme members (from phase 3) to benefit from certain discounts if they agree to undertake 1 or 2 module activities to improve the collection of WEEE
- Funds raised will continue to be used to support Local Authority projects with the aim to increase WEEE collections, with processes in place to monitor the benefit achieved
If you would like more information on joining the DTS please visit our website
Should you have any further queries please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org